As mentioned, Ray and I are extremely impressed & humbled by this work of art created by my Canadian cousins. Here’s my attempt in recreating their artistic journey. See their documented timeline below. Sketches from our trip to Machu Picchu. How they knew my hair was going to be in an up-do for the wedding is beyond me… Tada…
February 18th: Decided to make a present & brainstorming began.
- Hand drawn story/comic book based on both real & made up events
- Collection of their pictures (scrapbook style)
- Brewing our own alcohol
- Book of their pictures with funny captions
- Matching couple t-shirts
February 20th: Decided what to make & more brainstorming
- Saw this https://www.pinterest.com/pin/82683343135169025/ and decided to make one
- Creepily stalked on Facebook and asked Calvin for things they liked (sorry!)
March – June 25th: Played around with design ideas & a break
June 30th: Narrowed it to two designs & sketched them out on tracing paper
July 1 – July 21: Scanned designs and traced them on Illustrator with the help of other photos found online
- July 19: Began choosing and adding special audience members. Included: Hello Kitty, Waldo, Badtz Maru, Goku, & Tyrael from Diablo. Other candidates: Sailor Moon, Tuxedo Mask, other Sanrio characters & Totoro.
July 22 – 23: Fixed image size & printed flipped image outlines
July 24 – August 1: The very painstaking and careful cutting process began
July 28: Frame construction planning began
August 1: Began gluing the layers together & adding the “stained glass”
August 3: Added stairs to design
August 4: Finished building the shadow box frame
August 5: Glued all the paper layers together, painted the frame black
August 7: Finally finished assembly of the entire light box.
August 7 – 8: Hoped that it would survive the ride to Boston
August 8: Success!